Red Hat OpenShift is Kubernetes(K8s) platform that provides trusted foundation on premises, hybrid and multi cloud deployments with automated operations and streamlined lifecycle management. Red hat OpenShift empowers the development teams to build and deploy their applications and helps operations team to provision, manage and scale in K8s application platform.
Developer teams has access to validated images and solutions from 100 of partners like security and scanning throughout the delivery process. Developers can access native images and wide range of 3rd party cloud services all through a single platform.
Operation teams can deploy applications wherever they want and across teams with built-in login and monitoring. Service mesh helps to enable communication between two or more different services.
OpenShift is Red Hat opensource platform to develop and host Enterprise grade Container based applications of the various Cloud computing models such as,
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Software as a Service (SaaS)
OpenShift is Platform as a Service offering by Red Hat. Once deployed OpenShift takes care of managing the underlying infrastructure components. So, developers can concentrate only application development.
Flavors of OpenShift:
OpenShift available in 4 flavors,
- OpenShift Origin is based on top of Docker containers and the Kubernetes cluster manager, with added developer and operational centric tools that enable rapid application development, deployment and lifecycle management.
- OpenShift Online is Red Hat’s public cloud application deployment and hosting platform. Get on-demand access to OpenShift to build, deploy and manage scalable containerized applications, operated and supported by Red Hat.
- OpenShift Dedicated is a container application platform hosted on Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Google Cloud Platform and managed by Red Hat. OpenShift Dedicated is built on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Docker container technology, and Google Kubernetes for orchestration and management.
- OpenShift Enterprise/Container Platform is an enterprise-ready Kubernetes container platform with full-stack automated operations to manage hybrid cloud and multi-cloud deployments. Red Hat OpenShift is optimized to improve developer productivity and promote innovation.
As shown in the above image, we need to understand Docker, Kubernetes and related tools to understand better about OpenShift.
Docker: Docker is the fundamental technology that powers the development of containerized applications in the form of reusable images. Docker enables us to create an image with all prerequisite dependencies of an application. These images can be deployed in any environment.
Kubernetes: Powers deployment and management of Docker images across large clusters by providing self-healing and autoscaling features.
Note: OpenShift built on these technologies by providing the layer of tools that abstract the underlying Kubernetes and infrastructure management tasks to help developers to easily deploy and manage their applications on the Kubernetes based infrastructure.