- On demand Service – you use when you need it.
- Network Access – Uses internet as a Medium.
- Shared resources – Resources are pooled along, employed by multiple purchasers
- Scalability – Allows elasticity of resources.
As I have already mentioned in previous post, if we need to understand about the Cloud Computing, we need to know about basic cloud platform service models like SaaS, PaaS and IaaS. These are also known as,
Provides the patron/consumer the capability to provision of processing, storage, networks and other fundamental computing resources. Consumer/patron is able to deploy and run arbitrary software, which can include operating systems and applications.
Consumer/patron does not manage or control the underlying cloud infrastructure but has control over operating systems. Few examples of IaaS is,
- Amazon EC2
- Windows Azure
- Google Compute Engine
Provides the patron/consumer the capability to deploy onto the cloud infrastructure consumer created or acquired application developed by using programming language and tools supported by the provider. In this model consumer does not manage or control the underlying cloud infrastructure including networks, servers, OS…etc.
Consumer has control over the deployed applications and possibility application hosting environment configurations. Few examples of PaaS,
- Pivotal Cloud Foundry
- AWS Elastic Beanstalk
- Google App Engine
- Apache Startos
Provides the patron/consumer the capability to use the provider’s application running on a cloud infrastructure. These applications are accessible from numerous clients like an internet browser, a mobile or a tablet.
- Web based email
- Real-time chat applications like Skype, Facetime or WhatsApp
- Collaboration applications like Office365 can be examples of these kind of applications.
Which are the top 10 Cloud Computing Vendors?
As per the Forbes result dates on 06/01/2019, Microsoft, Amazon and IBM are top 3 Cloud vendors. Look at below image for more information.
Which is more popular out of IaaS, PaaS and SaaS?
We can not decide that which is the popular service out of IaaS, PaaS and SaaS because each one of them are popular different perspectives. Below is the detailed information why each one of the service is popular.
- IaaS: Infrastructure-as-a-Service is more popular in the perspective of users into research and high computing areas.
- PaaS: Platform-as-a-Service is more popular in the perspective of developers because the developer can put all their concentration on developing their apps and leave the rest of management and execution to the service provider.
- SaaS: Software-as-a-Service is more popular in the perspective of consumers, who bother about using software/application like email, social networking, etc.